What is this? Isn’t this blog on wordpress.com? Not anymore. Click the image to read why and to find my new blog. Also please make sure to follow me on my new blog: alannaandco.blogspot.com!
I’ve been all messed-up this week since I usually only work from home on Thursdays, but I had a snow day and worked from home on Tuesday. So I’m using that as an excuse to post my hump day confessions one day late!
I confess that:
- I just spent a day and a half redesigning the blog. The way the posts showed up as articles was really getting on my nerves. I also changed a plain white background as suggested by Venus Trapped in Mars. I love her website and her tutorials so I decided she probably knows what she’s talking about with the white background deal.
- I am obsessed with the new look of the blog, the new social media buttons, my about me widget, and MY own button that you can grab at the bottom!
- I just sponsored my first blog for April. It’ll be a surprise who it is!
- I’m having another giveaway tomorrow! Check back for the details tomorrow.
- I’m obsessed with blog link ups.
- This will be the first week I’ve completed my resolution of “workout three times a week”. I’m going to Body Pump tonight. Les Mills for the win!
- I watch MTV music videos every morning when I eat my breakfast!
- I’ve danced with my dog every night this week. She loves it.
- I’ve been playing Dragon Age Origins at every change I can steal my boyfriend away from the tv! #nerdalert. Notice the Xbox controller in the Instagram?
- I haven’t worn make-up since Monday…whoops.
Thanks for checking out the new blog design! I hope you like it and please let me know if you notice anything wonky in the comments. Happy late hump day!
Recently I realized that I rarely ever watch chick flicks. Maybe it’s because I’m not a super girly girl or that I’ve had a boyfriend for a pretty long time and we tend to watch most movies together. And no, I’m not saying that boyfriends can’t watch chick flicks, it’s just that mine doesn’t. See below commercial. This is my boyfriend, except instead of accidentally showering with Summer’s Eve, it would be him walking in to see me watching a chick flick.
So I decided, screw this I need some goddamn chick flicks in my life. And I’ve cried in all of them.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. God the scene where Bailey….Don’t make me relive that moment again.
Bridget Jones’ Diary. Never. Gets. Old.
A Walk to Remember. Literally watched this on #NickMom late Tuesday night. I should probably be more embarrassed that I’m actually watching programming for mothers, but I’m not.
Love Actually. I felt that I needed to watch this due to the holiday season and the fact that pretty much every girl I work with is obsessed with this movie. I still don’t like it. Sorry not sorry.
The Sweetest Thing. I guess this is a bit more of a comedy than a true chick flick, but still!
I also added in a few girly TV shows. I caught up with Kourtney and Khloe’s lives. Had a sick day and watched a Sex and the City marathon.
So there you go, here’s my complete estrogen-filled post. Now, back to NickMom and ice cream (just kidding…only about the ice cream part)!
Last but not least here are the giveaway details!
Prize: $500 (via Paypal)
Co-hosts: Jenn’s Blah Blah Blog • True Story Book Blog • Allisonleighann. • My Fashion On The Rox • Mae Amor • Bohemian Babushka • Finger Click Saver • The PinterTest Kitchen •Polished Closets • Blog by Donna • Misadventures with Andi • Nicole to the Nines • Stacy’s Savings • OrangeMarigolds.com • Palmtrees and Happiness • My Starlight Blessings • Mommy on the Money
Giveaway organized by: Oh My Gosh Beck!
Rules: Use the Rafflecopter form to enter daily. Giveaway ends 1/31 and is open worldwide. Winner will be notified via email.
Are you a blogger who wants to participate in giveaways like these to grow your blog? Click here to find out how you can join a totally awesome group of bloggers!
Starting and kicking off a blog is slightly daunting. There’s tons opinions on how to start blogs and what/when you need to post but overall I think you just need to feel it out and see what is right for you. I actually had a blog way before this when I was in high school! I was super into it but got sucked into what other people wanted versus what it meant to me. In the end, I got sick of it after a year and quit entirely. Sorry followers. Coming back into blogging eight years later, the scene has entirely changed. I’m glad WordPress is still a popular blog platform because that is what I’m familiar with, but there’s a whole new addition of tumblr, squarespace, bloglovin, etc. It’s been really fun plunging headfirst into something new, seeing what else people like and what they write about (uh hello fitness and mommy blogs!), and how blogging has evolved. Below is a list of the most influential and helpful blog tips that have helped me acclimate myself.
- Why I Blog by Hello Rigby. A great starter post from one of my favorite bloggers. She’s actually a fashion/lifestyle blogger but even though I’m not huge on fashion she has a great voice. This post outlines some positives and negatives that come with blogging and gives a very personal take on why she blogs.
- The Secret to Successful Blogging by the Private Life of a Girl. Read it to find out!
- 10 Pieces of Advice for Starting a Blog by Jenny Purr. A MUST read for any and all new bloggers. I’ve actually “favorited” a ton of her posts, but this is probably one of the most helpful for new bloggers or people who are looking to start a blog soon. What I will say about this post is that I definitely do not have a manifesto. Frankly, I just start writing and see where it goes. I have tons of draft posts of ideas I started but didn’t have the inspiration to finish it and I’ll completely scrap a posts if I don’t like it. I’m still finding out what I like to write about and what people like reading the most but I’m sure I can build my manifesto by the end of next year. Maybe, we’ll see. ha, whoops sorry Jenny!
- Photography Tips from I Heart Organizing. Another addition to blog land that I never noticed when I was previously blogging is the influx of photos and graphics! Even though I don’t have a fancy DSLR or a whole lighting system, this blog post gives some good information about taking (good or not so good) photos and how to edit them using PicMonkey and iPiccy (both free!). It also has a list of great apps to use on iPhone for photo editing.
- Blogging Tips: What I Wish I Had Known by Somewhat Simple. I really like #3. She mentions blog swaps (yet to do), Linkups (love them), and gets into social media for blogging.
- 11 Tips to Increase Your Blog’s Traffic by Helene in Between. I have to admit that I am a person who is big on numbers and stats. It makes me want to post and share more if people are listening, so these tips are really helpful to get yourself out there.
I love all the beginning stages and getting to re-learn everything in a new way.
Do you have any great tips that helped you out as a new blogger? Or is there anything you disagree with? I’d love to hear back from you!
Lastly, check back later in a couple days for a cash giveaway opportunity!
I’m pretty simple when it comes to makeup. I often keep to this simple daily regime but I’m really trying to start experimenting with more make-up while keeping a fresh and simple look.
1. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer. I always start with this daily moisturizer after washing my face. I have a pretty oily complexion and have to use anti-acne medicine daily but that in turn dries my skin out a lot! The Aveeno is a very thick formula that also has SPF and it keeps my skin hydrated and protected through the evening.
2. Dove Go Fresh Restore. I’m not sure about you but I tend not to wear perfume every day. Tons of my coworkers are super sensitive/allergic to perfumes and I really don’t feel like I need to impress anyone with tons of fancy smells daily. This Dove deodorant has a great scent to it and I often feel like I can just apply this and not need any perfume at all.
3. L’oreal True Match Naturale Foundation.So I’m really bad with picking foundations, blushes, or anything that I need to match with my skin color (any tips are appreciated!). This foundation is very simple and light. I usually only wear it during fall and winter when I’m paler and my complexion isn’t as even as it is when I’m tan. This also has SPF 19. It comes with a built in brush, although I tend to use my own brushes. This foundation is great for me because it truly doesn’t feel or look like I’m wearing foundation when I put it on but it does I great job covering up blemishes and evening out my skin tone.
4. Maybelline Colossal Volum’ Mascara in Glam Black. This product is tested, tried, and true! Beware there are tons of different options with this mascara. The one I use is the Glam Black washable. There is a cat-eye option which has an awful brush and did not work well with my eyelashes at all. This one that I use (pictured above) has a great plump brush and thickens without clumping! It is also pretty easy to remove with oil-free makeup remover. In addition, I always need to use my eyelash curler. I have long eyelashes that are very straight. The eyelash curler works miracles to make my eyelashes curl and look much longer.
5. Maybelline Line Express Eyeliner. This is a nice simple eyeliner that goes on easily and doesn’t look to harsh. I opt for pencil eyeliners since I wear contacts and the pencil is much better than gel or cream liners that can dry and flake into my eyes. This also has a great smudger that I use if I want to make a dark cat-eye that, again, isn’t too harsh.
6. Lastly, EOS lip balm. I rarely wear lipstick or gloss at work or during the days. This lip balm is great for dry, cracking winter lips. These are 100% natural so no artificial chemicals. Personally my two favorite flavors are strawberry and mint. Mint has a slight tingle to it too! My favorite part about these lip balms are they are super easy to find in my purse and they also have a flat bottom so they don’t roll off my desk like my other chapsticks.
What is your regular daily makeup routine? Like to keep it simple like me? In addition, I would love any and all pointers and suggestions for battling the winter!
Sidenote! I am working on my photo editing. My camera charger has gone missing so I apologize for the bad quality and lighting of the iPhone photos. I’ve been experimenting with PicMonkey and iPiccy. Can you tell which photos are from which? Thanks go out to Jen at IHeart Organizing, Helene at Helene in Between, and Zoe at SweetElectric for their tutorials!