What is this? Isn’t this blog on wordpress.com? Not anymore. Click the image to read why and to find my new blog. Also please make sure to follow me on my new blog: alannaandco.blogspot.com!
Hi all! Back from a quick work trip/mini-vacation to San Francisco and Santa Cruz. I hate being back at work. Anyways, to follow-up with my last post before leaving for San Francisco the packing lists went very well! I had extra space in my suitcase to pack goodies that I picked up (two books and a scarf) and was still able to take it as a carry-on! PLUS I was able to lift it into the overhead compartment myself! I guess all those overhead presses at Body Pump do work after all!
After some quick exhibiting at a meeting in downtown SF, I was able to explore the city with my boyfriend and go to some cool restaurants. We met up with some of his friends and partied down at the Mission which can get a little crazy!
The next morning, we went down to Buena Vista brunch which apparently has to-die-for Irish Coffee that I missed out on. We sprinted over to Alcatraz to make our 12:00 p.m. tour and ventured around there for a few hours! Alcatraz is huge!
After that we walked down to Pier 39 to see the Sea Lions, get an amazing chowder in San Francisco sourdough bread bowl and I couldn’t resist an ice cream.
After that we went to visit my cousin in Santa Cruz which is about an hour or so south of SF. The drive down the coast was spectacular and I’m glad we drove it right before dusk because we got to see some amazing vistas! Santa Cruz was a serious juxtaposition to SF, so much nature, such a relaxed lifestyle, and everything closes at 10 p.m.! We were able to see some of the beaches, get some great seafood, go to a grove where Monarchs migrate to every year, and then wake up at 5:00 a.m. in the morning to drive back to SFO. I definitely wasn’t ready to leave.
Well, time to get back to reality but this by far has been the best California trip so far!
This is in no specific order, I typically listen on shuffle anyways!
- I Don’t Mind by Usher and Juicy J. Has anyone else listened to the lyrics of this song?! What man would be okay with dating a stripper? Also, if I was a stripped dating Usher, I would tell him, “No, I don’t want to make my money, you pay for me now.” Still love the beat and you can catch me singing every lyric in my drive-in to work though.
- Burnin’ Up by Jessie J featuring 2 Chainz.
- You Know You Like It by DJ Snake and AlunaGeorge. I just love that hip hop snare drum thing. You know what I’m talking about.
- She Came To Give It To You by Usher.
- She Knows by Usher and Ne-Yo. Umm…holy hell Usher and Ne-yo, taking over the scene here…
- Time of Our Lives by Pitbull and Ne-Yo.
- #ICantEven by The Neighborhood and French Montana. The most surprising combination ever, right? Well it works perfectly. This was on my December playlist but I like it so much it’s staying on January’s playlist. Give it a listen.
- Prayer in C (Robin Schultz Remix) by Lilly Wood and the Prick
- Heroes (we could be) by Alesso featuring Tove Lo.
What songs are you jamming out to right now? Do you have any good suggestions that you’re currently listening to?
Ugh being back from San Francisco sucks! It was a crazy trip and I had a ton of fun. I promise I’ll give an overview of my packing and what activities I did shortly! But for now!
I am starting to try and make an editorial calendar. Something basic like on Monday we wear pink! Just kidding, I couldn’t resist. More like, on Mondays I will post something that is pinnable!
I haven’t seen one episode of the Bachelor yet! I’m slacking majorly. It’s all on my DVR though, so when my boyfriend is out for a doctor’s appointment tonight I promise to catch up!
I hate wearing slacks to work. I will happily wear dresses and skirts all winter into work.
I have also torn through at least five pairs of tights this winter 😥
I’m totally scared that February is going to fly by! There are tons of things that I’m doing in February and March that I am just not prepared for!
Also don’t forget about the huge cash giveaway that I’m participating in! Go enter now before it ends!
Prize: $500 (via Paypal)
Co-hosts: Jenn’s Blah Blah Blog • True Story Book Blog • Allisonleighann. • My Fashion On The Rox • Mae Amor • Bohemian Babushka • Finger Click Saver • The PinterTest Kitchen •Polished Closets • Blog by Donna • Misadventures with Andi • Nicole to the Nines • Stacy’s Savings • OrangeMarigolds.com • Palmtrees and Happiness • My Starlight Blessings • Mommy on the Money
Giveaway organized by: Oh My Gosh Beck!
Rules: Use the Rafflecopter form to enter daily. Giveaway ends 1/31 and is open worldwide. Winner will be notified via email.
Are you a blogger who wants to participate in giveaways like these to grow your blog? Click here to find out how you can join a totally awesome group of bloggers!
- Orange is the New Black on Netflix. I’m pretty sure everyone has seen this, and if you haven’t, get into it right now! The best thing about Netflix shows is that as soon as a new season comes out they release every episode. Perfect Binge watching.
- Girls on HBO. Ahh, I am so excited it just started up this past week! I have to admit I find Lena Dunham’s character Hannah so so so annoying and dumb. She brings up some great situations that twenty-somethings get into, and some that any twenty-something would never get into. I also think it is pretty much a more modern day, younger version of Sex and the City, albeit a lot less classy. See below.
- Game of Thrones on HBO. I’ve always been kind of into the fantasy and medieval times thing, so I’m glad others are finally catching up with me. I definitely could not get into the books which are in super tiny print and about 1000 pages. Nope. I also started watching the show which is expertly directly, has great visual FX, and amazing acting, so can anyone tell me why it would be worth it for me to read the books? There’s also tons of female empowerment in the show which I love.
- The Americans on FX. This is one of the few shows my boyfriend and I can actually get together and watch. It has great character building, there’s always something surprising around the corner and the new season starts super soon!
- You’re the Worst on FXX. Haha, so I swear I do watch more than just FX and HBO. But these really are my top five that I have already pre-programmed into my DVR to automatically record! This is a pretty funny and short tv show that comes on in the evenings. Basically primarily about relationships, the dating scene, and partying. This one I would say is like a mix of twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings. Pretty funny and I have a small crush on Chris Greer.
Do you share any of my favorite shows? What is pre-programmed into your DVR?
As I said in previous posts, I’m super lucky that my job is able to send me all around the States to travel. So yesterday I jetted out to San Francisco. I don’t think I’ve explained this before but I am somewhat of a meeting planner. I always struggle with the best way to describe what I do. I work for a medical non-profit on the education side, which means develop educational programs (aka medical conferences) that provide CME (continuing medical education) to doctors so they can continue to be certified! Yay, all good things! Anyways, if you ask me anything about room blocks, BEOs, or anything of the sort, I will point you in a different direction. I love my job and it’s perfect for me since I love planning, organizing months (if not years) ahead of time, and coordinating all the small things into one big perfect finalized meeting. Also a plus side is that I get to go to amazing hotels and cities fo’ free!
This will be the third year in a row that I’ve gone to San Francisco (twice for work, once for pleasure). If you have never been to San Francisco, do not be fooled by the weather. Many think that since it’s part of California, it will be nice, mild, warm, and sunny all the time. Think again! San Fran has wild winds from the bay that chill the temperature down about 10 degrees on any given day. Fortunately, this trip is work trip that will turn into a pleasure trip for the last three days. Unfortunately, when it’s a weird mix of different activities such as work, exploring the city, and doing touristy things I always struggle with planning on what to pack, without overpacking! I just found this amazing outfit planner on Team Wiking! Thank god for her printables. But I’ll type out my finalized my packing list: Clothing:
- 1 pair of jeans (that can be dressed up to go out on the town.)
- 2 work dresses.
- Black tights.
- Two short sleeve blouses and one long sleeve blouse (can be worn to dinners and work receptions.)
- Grey Cardigan.
- Long Sweater.
- Yoga Pants and workout top.
- Black Pumps.
- Brown Boots.
- Nude Flats.
- Running Shoes.
- Portable speaker because I can’t go anywhere without it.
- Work Laptop.
And finished product (without my toiletry bag) actually looks pretty empty! Yay for not overpacking! I’ll let you know how it goes once I get back home. Lastly, don’t forget how to pack without wrinkles (tips from a Cup of Jo)! Anyways, please let me know if you have any suggestions for things to do or great restaurants that I could go to! I’ll talk to you on the flip side.
In contrast to the photo above, I actually hate running. My boyfriend dragged me to a handful of 5k’s this summer and I ended up feeling dead after the summer with a serious shin splint in my left leg.
I’m also terrible at motivating myself. I listen to that devil on my shoulder that says, “You’re ten minutes away from a full half-hour, let’s just leave now.” or “I’m cramping and there’s absolutely no way to push through this.” or “I want pizza right now.” However, I love when people motivate me. One of my favorite things, and the only reason I pay for a gym membership, are the group fitness classes. In addition, getting fit and going to the gym at least three times a week is one of my resolutions. I successfully completed the resolution last week but definitely won’t complete this week due to a work trip 😦
I’ve been an XSport Fitness member. I actually had a friend who worked as a trainer there and got me a corporate membership so I had no sign up fees and can cancel at anytime without having to pay out an entire year or any termination fees. I really like XSport more than any other gym I’ve been to in this area because they have tons of space, lots of brand new equipment, a pool, sauna, spa (which I was using when I used to tan), basketball courts, rock climbing walls, and more. In addition, you can always bring a guest with you for free which is super convenient if you have someone you like working out with.
Like I said previously, the main reason I go to a gym are the group fitness classes. I absolutely love them. I typically go to a range of a few different classes like Zumba, Body Pump, Cycle (aka Spinning, click the link to get to Sarah, my instructor’s, blog!), Boot Camp, Body Jam (recently has been replaced by Zumba), Insanity, and sometimes Pilates. Overall Zumba, Cycle, and Body Pump are my three favorites. Zumba gets your cardio really going! For a sixty-minute class I typically burn around 600-700 calories depending on the dance routine that my instructor takes us through. I also am learning how to have better rhythm which is always a plus. Body Pump by Les Mills looks extremely intimidating. It took me forever to go to the class because everyone rushes to pick up at least 10 items to workout with, but almost every instructor I’ve had has been super helpful and will help you set up and tell you which weights you should use. It’s addicting once you start. See below for a sneak peek.
I know there are a lot of people who get self-conscious at group classes or would prefer to work at their own pace, but for me they are perfect. I like group fitness classes for a number of reasons:
- Group motivation and camaraderie.
- The instructor pushes you.
- They keep you on a regular schedule.
- You learn new exercise routines.
- The instructor teaches you proper posture and technique.
- Give you ample time to warm-up and stretch (a downfall in my individual workout routine.)
- You can be social and make friends!
Sorry for such a wordy post!
Do you prefer to workout in group classes, with a partner, or by yourself? What motivates you?